Tips For Choosing a Ballroom Dance Studio
December 26, 2016
For many, social partner dancing is a way to enjoy ourselves and get the most out of life. It helps reduce the stresses of everyday life for a few hours and provides entertainment. Dancing is also a healthy activity to do with a loved one or a friend. Whether you’re interested in taking dance lessons for fun or you’re considering competing, there are some key elements to consider as you select a dance studio to work with.
- Value: The price of dance lessons is a very important factor when choosing a dance studio. Make sure to ask exactly what you are paying for. Does the studio offer group lessons, private lessons, practice lessons, and wedding dance lessons? Most studios have a fixed number of classes that are included in your purchase, so be sure to find out how many classes you can take.
- Dance Types Offered: Depending on the preference of the dance studio owner and its staff, most studios specialize in certain styles. If you are interested in learning a variety of dance styles, make sure the studio teaches more than one or two styles. And of course, if your goal is to WOW your friends with a special Tango or Waltz, be sure to confirm your favorite dance is in their repertoire.
- Dance Levels: Find out whether the studio offers different dance levels–beginner to expert. No one wants to feel uncomfortable or unsupported while dancing. Also, make sure the dance studio caters to all types of people, regardless of age, size, skill level, dance goals, etc.
- Experienced/Qualified Instructors: Of course, it is important to have an experienced dance teacher who knows what he or she is doing. It is also important to ask if the dance studio’s staff and/or dance director is certified. Ask how long they’ve taught dancing and how students respond to the way they teach. While some professional dancers are masters, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are good teachers. It is important to find out whether the dance instructors are warm, caring and patient with their students and are able to explain and encourage growth in their classes.
- Client Reviews/ Testimonials: When you visit the dance studio it is important to observe the studio’s setting, attitude and customer satisfaction. Does the studio have a welcoming and helpful atmosphere? Do they have longtime students who keep returning for the love of dance and the way that particular studio teaches? Most importantly, are the students having fun?
At Fred Astaire Dance Studios, we proudly offers all types of partnership dances – from waltz, tango, cha-cha, and salsa, to swing and club dancing. Many of our teachers have Fine Arts degrees and all have passed exams given by the Imperial Society of the Teachers of Dance and/or the Fred Astaire Curriculum certification. And every single one of them are friendly, energetic instructors who absolutely love what they do, and can’t wait to share the joy and excitement of ballroom dance with you! Since 1947, we have been encouraging the art of dance and welcoming our returning students for generations. Get started on your dance journey today – give us a call at Fred Astaire Dance Studios.