Get your groove on! Join our team for The Longest Day, a day that’s all about love for all those affected by Alzheimer’s disease. On June 21, 2018, the longest day of the year and summer solstice, thousands of people will join together to show their love for those affected by Alzheimer’s disease. You can be one of them.
On June 21, the Alzheimer’s Association Of Southern Arizona will be hosting music and dance-related events at our dance studio. This all-day event will help to raise funds and awareness for the care, support and research efforts of the Alzheimer’s Association.
Ballroom dance incorporates basic principles of movement that are applicable to many physical activities. Not only is dancing a worthwhile physical activity, partner dancing has been shown to be effective in maintaining brain health and is also rich in intrinsic benefits including:
- Improved Memory
- Improved Flexibility and Agility
- Improved Balance
- Cardiovascular benefits
- Reduced Stress
- Weight Loss
- Social Confidence
- Increased Strength and Overall Health
The day begins at 10 a.m. and we’ll have 30-minute dance lessons from our instructors throughout the day. Don’t want to take a dance lesson? We will have open dancing and refreshments between each lesson! Stop in throughout the day to dance with us, meet our staff and join our effort for a world without Alzheimer’s disease.
- 10:00 – 10:10 Welcome and Opening announcements
- 10:10 – 10:40 Ballroom Basics Line Dance – Walking, Posture, Rhythms, Foot Positions.
- 10:40 – 11:00 Open Dancing and Refreshments
- 11:00 – 11:30 Group Class – Smooth Dancing (Waltz)
- 11:30 – 11:45 Open Dancing and Refreshments
- 11:45 – 12:15 Group Class – Smooth Dancing (Foxtrot)
- 12:15 – 12:30 Demonstrations (Fred Astaire Professionals)
- 12:30 – 1:00 Group Class – Rhythm Dancing (Salsa)
- 1:00 – 1:15 Open Dancing and Refreshments
- 1:15 – 1:45 Group Class – Rhythm Dancing (Rumba)
- 1:45 – 2:00 Open Dancing and Refreshments
- 2:00 – 2:30 Group Class – Rhythm Dancing (Swing)
- 2:30 – 2:45 Demonstrations (Fred Astaire Professionals)
- 2:45 – 3:30 *Dance with the Pros open dancing
*Sign up to have a special dance with one of our dance professionals for a $10 donation.
- $10 donation is suggested
For more information and to participate visit: http://act.alz.org/goto/SAZTLD or call 520-322-6601!