We’ve all been caught unprepared at some time in our lives. Not knowing how to dance should not be on that list. If learning to dance in general seems like too big a task, we’ve put together a list of the must haves.
Going to a wedding, have a work event or dinner date? We’ve got you covered! Here’s Fred Astaire’s pick for the top 5 dances must know dances for every occasion.
- Waltz: The most graceful of the dances, Waltz is the perfect trick to have up your sleeve if you want to impress your boss, or your girlfriends’ father. There is an elegance and sophistication to the Waltz that you can count on to make you look refined and confident. A distinctive ¾ time sets this dance apart from most others and makes it a must have in your dance repertoire. A well known song is Norah Jones “Come Away with Me” or Nat King Cole “Cherie.”
Want to see what a Waltz looks like? Click Here!
- Swing: An upbeat and bubbly dance, that’ll have you and everyone else in the room up on the dance floor. When the time comes to show your fun side this is the dance you need to know. Usually done to an energetic tempo like Buddy Guy’s “Sweet Home Chicago” or Elle King “Ex’s and Oh’s.”.
Want to see what a Swing looks like? Click Here!
- Salsa: A club style party dance, this one will come in handy after the party starts going into the wee hours. A flirtatious dance that will get you and your partner working up a sweat in no time. When you need a dance that will get you close and hot, this is the one. A strong lead is a must with quick tempo and all the spins. You’ll want to make sure you get some good practice time in so you feel extra confident for this aphrodisiac. Try Rihanna “Pon De Replay” or Iggy Azalea “Problem.”
Want to see what a Salsa looks like? Click Here!
- Rumba: This is your romantic slow dance. When you hear the DJ starting up the Michael Buble, you know it’s time to bust out your Rumba. If you didn’t come with a date this is the song to go meet someone and introduce yourself. The sensual rhythm of the Rumba makes it an irresistible card to keep in your back pocket.
Want to see what a Rumba looks like? Click Here!
- Foxtrot: Last and certainly not least the Foxtrot is the Glamorous and Classy dance that makes you think of the Old Hollywood movies. There are few things more impressive to watch than a good foxtrot. Smooth and distinguished are what come to mind. Some great music to dance a Foxtrot to are Frank Sinatra’s “Fly me to the Moon” or Jessie J “Sexy Silk.”
Want to see what a Foxtrot looks like? Click Here!
Of course we think every dance is amazing but we had to keep it narrowed down to five. There are many great dances not listed here like Viennese Waltz, Cha Cha, Bachatta, Quick Step, Jive, Samba, Argentine Tango, Bolero, Mambo, Hustle and more! If you’re ready to take the plunge and start some lessons yourself.