Top 10 Reasons to Dance with Your Darling
Originally published in FADS InStep magazine.
- Boost your romance. With the combination of body language, physical contact, and eye contact, it’s hard not to feel a sense of romance while dancing with your partner.
- Exercise together. Dancing together is a fun way to spend time with your partner that allows both of you to pursue fitness goals like increasing strength and muscle tone while dropping a few pounds. Dance lessons and practice sessions can be comparable to gym workouts.
- Teamwork. A leader and a follower are required in this partnership on the dance floor. Dancing teaches each of you to not only master your own steps, but also help your partner execute theirs. Two people moving in harmony to a rhythm is the result of cooperation.
- Better communication. Having to communicate in a physical manner while dancing increases your ability to verbally communicate when you’re not on the dance floor. Body language paired with spoken words is the complete recipe for couples wanting to improve styles of communication in their relationship.
- Date night! Gentlemen, suit up and take your lady to a gala and twirl her around the dance floor; ladies, get your sassy on and take your man out salsa dancing. The possibilities are endless!
- Rediscover each other. Personalities shine through moves on the dance floor. Perhaps you see a more vulnerable side of your partner who is very outgoing. Or maybe you find that a little dancing brings out the goofy side of your reserved sweetheart.
- Reduce stress. Dancing helps to reduce stress; many dancers say it helps them to enjoy the present moment, making the world melt away. Dancing with your sweetheart can inject a dose of fun into your lives, ultimately helping you to relax so you can cope with the demands of your daily lives.
- Try something new. Whether you’re brand new dance students discovering ballroom and social dancing for the first time, or seasoned dancers adding new steps to your repertoires, trying something new together keeps your relationship fresh and fun and gives you new to talk about and experience together.
- Become more desirable. Dance is a chance to give yourselves a little makeovers, inside and out. Dancing teaches you to move your body with more grace, rhythm and better posture. It can help you feel more confident, from the way you walk to the way interact socially…what’s sexier than confidence?
- Time for just the two of you. Daily obligations and responsibilities can get in the way of spending quality time together. Regularly scheduled dance lessons give you the opportunity to focus on each other and enjoy something that’s just the two of you.
Discover more about the benefits of dance here!