Every single day we focus on training here at Fred Astaire Dance Studio (FADS). Mostly, it’s on the business side of training, where we meet as a team and talk about how to better represent the business, communicate with students, and grow engagement with the FADS brand.
Our teachers work on dance instruction training, too. The FADS approach to being a dance instructor requires constant certification, improvement and evolution in our ability to teach well and instruct others in the art of ballroom dance.
Fred Astaire Dance Studio welcomes Manuel Favilla and Natalia Maidiuk as our new dance directors
This year, Fred Astaire Dance Studio Michigan is kicking it up a notch by enhancing our instructors’ training in a major way. We’ve hired professional Latin dance-pair Manuel Favilla and Natalia Maidiuk as our new 2019 dance directors, working with our team of instructors every month on the quality of dance.
Manuel and Natalia are professional ballroom dancers, specializing in Latin. They began dancing together in 2012 and have since competed all over the world, earning a #20 ranking today in the world, #6 in the U.S. in the professional Latin category and #1 in Open Professional Latin Final at The Windy City Open in April of 2018.
Pretty impressive. Which is why we are so proud to welcome them to FADS Michigan.
Manuel hails from Italy, and Natalia originated in Ukraine. Now, they’re based in Wisconsin and when they’re not competing in dance events around the world, they’re instructing dance instructors and students on the art and quality of dance.
Devotion to training our staff
A distinguishing factor that sets FADS apart from, and above, other ballroom dance studios is our devotion to training and our methodical approach to dance instruction. In our Michigan studios, we meet as a team daily, working on how to engage with clients, handle a variety of situations, how to teach different types of students, and other aspects of the business of dance.
FADS insists on constant and evolving training for teaching dance. Every teacher is certified at a different level and to move up, they must study materials and complete a demonstration test every six months.
The testing keeps our instructors current and up-to-date on ever-changing ballroom dance styling and techniques. Most dance instructors were certified and tested many years ago and in some situations, decades ago, and they’re not teaching or knowledgeable about the current industry changes.
It’s an important FADS value to continually increase training and knowledge about teaching dance. Instructors must learn to lead and follow, dance in both male and female roles. They have to know how to move and dance, but also how to verbally explain every detail of the dance.
What sets us apart
We’ve long had in-depth manuals and training videos, and now the FADS methodology for dance instruction is all online within our system, making it easy for instructors to access materials and expand their knowledge base. That’s unique in the industry, and it’s something that sets Fred Astaire Dance Studios apart from the competition.
It’s also what makes our students stick around and enjoy the process of learning to dance.
This year, we are excited to welcome Manuel and Natalia to our team, enhancing the possibilities and increasing our knowledge and talent. Great things ahead!
(Other great facts to know about Manuel and Natalia:
– Finalist WDC Pro Latin World Championship 2013
– 3rd Pro Latin Showdance World Championship 2017
– Fred Astaire Pro Latin World Champions 2018
– Finalist European Championship 2013,2014,2015
Other Worldwide Achievements
– WDC Pro Latin Finalists Asian Tour
– WDC World Cup Pro Latin Finalists Shenzen, Cina
– WDC Pro Latin Champions Singapore Open Dance Championship, Singapore
– WDC Pro Latin Champions Brillante International Dancesport Championship, Singapore
– Semifinalist UK Open Pro Latin 2015
– Semifinalist Blackpool Open Pro Latin 2015
– Semifinalist International Open Pro Latin 2015
– WDC World Cup Pro Latin Finalists Kremilin Cup, Moscow, Russia
– WDC Pro Latin Finalist World Master Innsbruck, Austria
– WDC World Series Pro Latin Finalists Moscow,Russia
United States of America
– Pro Latin Champions Embassy Ball 2013
– First Runner Up Pro Latin Manhattan Dance Championship 2014
– Pro Latin Champions Capital DanceSport Championship 2015
– Pro Latin Champions Empire Dance Championship 2015
– 1st Runner Up USDC Open to the World Pro Latin 2015
– Pro Latin Champions Windy City Dance Championship 2018)